• /// x-108.com in a new style
    /// After more than 4 years it was time to update the forum to the latest version. We also decided on a new design...

Info Adding Bluetooth to the G90 (and possibly the X5105?). (1 Viewer)

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Hi All,
In case anyone is interested, I have added Bluetooth support (externally) to the G90 transceiver and can now operate it without cables using a Bluetooth headset and the PocketRxTx app on my smartphone, laptop or tablet.
The "trick" is to use pre-made accessories from China that are meant for other radios. Specifically the BT dongle for several ICOM radio CiV CAT connections. This needs modifying as Xiegu use separate RxD and TxD lines on their stereo 3.5mm jack plug, whereas ICOM has them combined. This is a small de-solder job within the dongle. For audio (Microphone and headphone/earpiece with PTT button), I am using a dongle designed to work with the cheap Chinese HTs (Baofeng etc.) - the ones with a 2.5mm and a 3.5mm jack on them (this dongle would normally plug in where you plug in a speaker microphone on for example a Baofeng, Puxon or Wouxon). In this case, I have added two jack sockets and wired this back to the ACC socket on the G90, which also supplies the 9v to run the CAT dongle. The audio level is currently low from the microphone and I have ordered a small Chinese mic preamp board to address this. The alternative would be to wire to the microphone output from the dongle to the G90's microphone socket instead of the ACC socket as the "HT dongle" is designed to feed microphone level audio either than the 1V audio level computer data expected on the G90's ACC socket. It may also be possible to alter the internals of the "HT dongle" but I decided to leave that as it is.

73 Ed DD5LP.

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
For those who may be interested - I have this all working (as a proof of concept) and my write-up is here on my blog:
(short link)

Or if you prefer, go to dd5lp.com, select equipment - at the bottom of that list the review of Xiegu and Raddy backpack and then the Bluetooth article will pop-out to the right - click there.

73 Ed DD5LP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oben
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks