• /// x-108.com in a new style
    /// After more than 4 years it was time to update the forum to the latest version. We also decided on a new design...

X-108 Info Any way to increase readability of OLED in sunlight (1 Viewer)

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Further details on the display used in the X108G OLED version -
You must be registered for see images attach

The ritDisplay module has the internal project number P16803

see here:

This module has the SSD1353 control chip from Solomon Systech on it:

What I think we need to confirm is that the interface from this module has the same pin assignments on the cable as the TFT one when removed from what is an Arduino compatible board. Otherwise it will not be a simple exchange of the unit.

I'm hoping the SPI Interface may define what the pins need to be as both displays support SPI (serial peripheral interface?).
( ).

The cable from what may be the display used in the X108G has 45 connections:

Dave Sargent

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
ZL2TLF
Hi Guys thanks for all the info it looks like I maybe going down the wrong track but I will wait till the display has arrived and see iff it can be adapted if not may have to drop a line to RIT displays and see if they will supply to the small man. I think I will start the ball rolling now and get in touch with them. Will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Dave ZL2TLF

Anibal

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
oa4dpa
Hi Guys

I have contacted with this OLED display manufacturer, RiTdisplay Corporation. Tracy Yang (tracyyang@ritdisplay.com) forwarded me to a reseller at USA but seems they don't have part number.

At the Xiegu X108G/X5105/G1M/G90 facebook group, a guy posted the pics about the display replacement that he performed. In those photos you can see a number code 3121170013.

Looking for "1,77 oled ssd1353" at AliExpress, I've found some sellers that offer a similar (if not the same) display.

NOTICE: The photo shown at this link, doesn't the same of actual photo inside the XIEGU 108G.

Regards
OA4DPA

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Dave,
While you have a damaged OLED display I believe, getting a replacement makes good sense - it could be listed under either the RitDisplay project number or the MPN in the Xiegu service manual however you will still have the problem if you wish to use this "outdoor" model outside - that if there is any level of sunshine, the display becomes unreadable and the brightness setting in the service menu has no effect whatsoever on the display (Xiegu support have confirmed this as normal). So returning to the old TFT display technology and gaining the brightness option might be a good solution.

Does anyone know where we can get a copy of the service manual for the non-OLED model? that should then give details of which TFT display Xiegu used to use.

If we are lucky we may find it has the same SPI interface and cable pin-out but it could also be different, in which case it's going to be a nightmare to fit.

Thanks for the extra pictures Anibal.

73 Ed DD5LP.

P.S. Looking at the two pictures, the OLED displays have different numbers - the one on the RiTdisplay site is 312 1168030 - the possible similar units on AliExpress are 3121170013 - which by the similarity of number could simply be either a later model or these could be just serial numbers I suppose. what DOES look different to me is the connector on the AliExpress units. But without a real close-up of both, it's not possible to say.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Here are three versions of the OLED listed at the US company's site:

This is on this web page:

What we really need is a photo of the rear of the OLED as installed in the X108G to see if the display is the one with or without the connector.

Specification sheets of the three OLED modules are available from this page via the download button on the right, so one can check which is the correct display.

73 Ed.

Tim_Fidler

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
ZL667
The service manaul is also available online - here:

73 Ed.
This is my number one post so I can have a look at schematic.. this bizzo about two posts is ridculato... but there it is.

Tim_Fidler

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
ZL667
Hi again Dave,
the part number for the OLED screen is on page 21 of the service manual (available via a link in one of the threads here on this foorum) and is
Item:OLED panel Specs:1.77"160128 colors OLED Package: TAB Brand:RiTdisplay MPN:RTD9916812000

I agree, at that price it's worth a shot! - unfortunately my only purchase from Aliexpress so far (replacment lithium rechargable, solder in batteries - also for the X108G, never arrived - so i might see if I can get the TFT display part through eBay or Amazon.

This seems to be the same one over eBay -

Most of the display boards I am fining are designed to plug straight onto an Arduino or similar and some even have a microSD card slot on the back of them - crazy cheap prices!

73 Ed.
That's the great advantage of generic LCD displays.. if you damage it , say in Sota work you don't have to search all over PRC with a knapsack to find another one. Radio has some great features but lack of replacement display near PO Purch is not one of em

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

I am happy to report that I have been working with Dan Toma YO3GGX and now has a beta version of his "PocketRxTx" Android-App that supports the USB chip in the X108G - with this rig remote control program I have been able to create a configuration "radio" file which supports all of the CiV commands that I have found implemented in the X108G firmware so that remote control of the rig is possible via USB or over a network connection. (the "radio" file is in the central repository and easily installed when you first start the App - It's the ONLY XIEGU file available).
The most important point is that on my last SOTA activation on January 1st. I had this App running on my Andoid phone, connected to the X108G and I could read the frequency and other displayed values on the phone in semi-bright light. The OLED display on the X108G was on the other hand invisible at the light level.

Dan hopes to release the free version 3.0 of PocketRxTx (which includes the X108G support) to Google Play in the near future. The Pro (advert-free) version will follow soon afterwards.

For more details about PocketRxTx amd Dan's other projects, go to yo3ggx.ro.

73 Ed.

John F McRae

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
VK5PO
How do I access the "engineering" settings? brand new radio (been in a cupboard for 3 years) fired up for first time.... oled appears PINKISH.....
73 John, VK5PO

ITS OK, Found it....
adjustment does nothing...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
How do I access the "engineering" settings? brand new radio (been in a cupboard for 3 years) fired up for first time.... oled appears PINKISH.....
73 John, VK5PO

ITS OK, Found it....
adjustment does nothing...

Correct! - the brightness control in the engineering menu does nothing if you have the OLED display. also the Contrast setting that was there for the previous TFT display has dissapeared from the engineering menu. Xiegu changed their advertising to say with the OLED display, the rig is far better in sunlight than with the TFT display! The opposite is true and there is no adjustment.

If your LED has a pink tinge to it, I'm afraid that sounds like a faulty display and after 3 years, I doubt that Xiegu will even talk to you, let alone replace the display.

My (email) conversations with Xiegu stopped from their side once they realised I bought my radio second hand but even before that they were not able to make any working suggestions to solve the fact that the display is totally unreadable in any level of sunlight. Even with a shade over the display, your eyes have already adjusted to the sunlight and hence the display is not visible.

The X108G is now no longer made, having been replaced with the G90 which uses a greyscale TFT display. I have not been able to try one in sunlight yet, so I don't know if it is better.

For my X108G, I use an ANDROID smart phone and PocketRxTx software to display the information from the rig.

I have covered this elsewhere on this forum but if you want details, I can send you a direct email.

73 Ed DD5LP (VK2JI).

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Correct! - the brightness control in the engineering menu does nothing if you have the OLED display. also the Contrast setting that was there for the previous TFT display has dissapeared from the engineering menu. Xiegu changed their advertising to say with the OLED display, the rig is far better in sunlight than with the TFT display! The opposite is true and there is no adjustment.

If your LED has a pink tinge to it, I'm afraid that sounds like a faulty display and after 3 years, I doubt that Xiegu will even talk to you, let alone replace the display.

My (email) conversations with Xiegu stopped from their side once they realised I bought my radio second hand but even before that they were not able to make any working suggestions to solve the fact that the display is totally unreadable in any level of sunlight. Even with a shade over the display, your eyes have already adjusted to the sunlight and hence the display is not visible.

The X108G is now no longer made, having been replaced with the G90 which uses a greyscale TFT display. I have not been able to try one in sunlight yet, so I don't know if it is better.

For my X108G, I use an ANDROID smart phone and PocketRxTx software to display the information from the rig.

I have covered this elsewhere on this forum but if you want details, I can send you a direct email.

73 Ed DD5LP (VK2JI).

Here's a company I have found who do spare parts for XIEGU rigs!

I have ordered a replacement OLED display and the front buttons for my X108G OD model.

I had been searching everywhere for the OLED without success and there's this company in the UK all the time. They also have a whole series of accessories for several of the XIEGU rigs and the amplifier.

73 Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oben
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks