• /// x-108.com in a new style
    /// After more than 4 years it was time to update the forum to the latest version. We also decided on a new design...

x-108 bugs Slow TX / RX changeover (Solved) (1 Viewer)

Chris Wilson

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
VK2NAP
Hi all
I have an earlier blue button outdoor unit which has had all sorts of issues over the few years I have owned it, but I somehow manage to keep the thing going.

Specifically the problem I had recently is the recovery time from TX to RX when the unit is cold. The unit clicks back into receive, however, the radio stays quiet for a second or 3 before the signals can be heard. As the unit warms up, it improves to almost, but not quite normal. Its been a hassle when someone comes back but I miss their callsign

Now I found this to be the case, only when the preamp is engaged. When the preamp is bypassed, it works fine, though a little deaf.

After an hour or so on the bench, I found the culprit to be one of the tiny 6 pin SKYWORKS AS179-92LF chips on the output of the RF preamp. They are available from Mouser, however, as they are simply used as a soft switch, I simply jumpered the output capacitor from the preamp to the input capacitor to the attenuator switch

Once I had removed and bypassed the switch chip thing, the slow RX recovery went away, however, the radio could not receive anything if the preamp was switched off. To get arorund that I jumpered the output from the bypass capacitor to the same input to the attenuator. Seems to work without any noticeable loss of sensitivity.

I have some replacements in an order with Mouser that I will complete and pay for this week

There are some photos of my handywork and where these chips are located.

Hope someone finds this helpful

73 dit dit

ps. I'll post the replacement and restoration work once the parts arrive

Anhänge

• IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    172,3 KB · Aufrufe: 1
  • IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    154,8 KB · Aufrufe: 1
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    190 KB · Aufrufe: 1
  • VASI5563.JPG
    VASI5563.JPG
    56,4 KB · Aufrufe: 1

Chris Wilson

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
VK2NAP
link to the Mouser part for the RF switch chips

I'll post the results when I get the chips in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oben
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks