X-108 Info X108G forgetting its time.

Discussion in 'X-108 TRX' started by DD5LP, Jul 26, 2018.

1. DD5LP

DD5LP Crack-Boarder X-108 Member

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    Has anyone else seen this? I can set the date and time on the rig and all is well until I turn it off and then it forgets the time and date. it sounds like a classic button-cell replacement task I guess.

Another new fault is that after turning on or switching bands via the A/B selection, the audio is muffled. switching through all the modes back to the one it was on, solves the problem but I wonder if this is realted to the problem above?

73 Ed DD5LP.

2. DD5LP

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    Having checked the voltage on the supposedly rechargable button cell Seiko MS920SE FL27E - it's 0.48v - no wonder the rig doesn't remember the time! In circuit or out the voltage is the same.
    This appears to be a very rare battery that they have chosen to use. Those companies who list it are either out of stock or wont ship outside of the US, or want large quantities to be ordered.
    There are equivalent batteries without the solder tags but these can't be soldered to so I'll see if I can find a holder and then use a more standars button cell of the same voltage (3.1v) and physical size.

Has anyone else seen this problem or am I just the unlucky one again?

3. CPLSeraphim

CPLSeraphim Beginner X-108 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    KY3M
    I am having the same problem with mine. It always resets the time when I turn it off. I will check for alternate size batteries that may help your situation.

4. DD5LP

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    Hi CPLSeraphim,,
    There are a couple of special attributes wuith the Seiko Instruments MS920SE FL27E button cell;
    1. it is physically smaller than many equivalent 3v cells at 9.5mm diameter x 2.1 mm high.
    2. it is a rechargable battery (but the X108G doesn't appear to be charging it).
    3. it has tabs connected to it so that it is a solder in type, avoiding the need in the board design for a socket to make it easily replaceable.
    I do have some equivalent batteries which are meant for use in wartches - 3v 11maH - same size but these are not rechargable and do not have the metal tabs on them.
    As these button cells have a lot of metal surface area, soldering wires to them is difficult without damaging the battery (being lithium, heating them up for too long could in principal cause them to explode). The trick is to heat up one part very quickly to get the wire soldered on, on each side and to do this using old fashioned flux can help with this. I have ordered some and am awaiting it's arrival, so we'll see if this solution works, I have a few of the watch battery cells.

As long as the button cell is only supporting the clock display, it's not so important and if I can find out why the charging circuit is not working, I could possibly even replace the cell woth an electrolytic capacitor!

73 Ed.

5. CPLSeraphim

CPLSeraphim Beginner X-108 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    KY3M
    Strangely enough, I figured out the issue in itself. As long as it is connected to a power source (I use mine as a portable) it is fine. When I am constantly removing the power source (disconnecting batteries) that is when it loses time. This is also for long periods of time, which I think is when it becomes an issue. Furthermore, until just recently, I would attach it to a battery and use it, then disconnect, not allowing it to charge the little cell. It is working properly now.

6. DD5LP

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    The amount of power needed to keep the clock chip running is very little. The button cell used should be able to do that for up to half a year without it being re-charged. I think rather than charging the battery (at all) the Xiegu circuit is actually discharging the battery while there is no external power.
    I won't know if my solution works until at least next week as the flux didn't arrive in the post today - that makes it two days overdue. OK, we had a public holiday this week, but I'll still be raising this with the (Dutch) supplier.

73 Ed.

7. DD5LP

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    Updating my progress - I have been unable to solder wires to an equivalent button cell that I had, so have had to order a replacement of the type in the X108 with the tabs already attached. In fact I had to order ten of them as that was the smallest quantity I could get. It was still cheaper to order 10 out of China than one out of the US (Mouser and Digi-Key refuse to ship to germany in any case for some reason!). Now I just have to wait 24 days for the part to get here.
    73 Ed.