I'm so happy I found this thread - hello everyone! I'm still working on getting everything running, but there are still some growing pains. Here is my setup:
- Xiegu X108G
- Laptop with Windows 10
- Digimode-2 cable from xggcomms
- Separate USB cable for rig control and PTT (boy it took me a long time to realize this wasn't going through the digimode cable)
- WSJT-X 1.9.1 (I also have HRO [trial period])
My experiences so far:
Day 1: I received my digimode-2 cable from xggcomms in the UK. At this point, I still labored under the misapprehension that it did audio AND rig control/PTT. True, they never actually said it would do that, but perhaps in a bout of altruism they might have mentioned it a bit more clearly? Anyway, I set everything up and within minutes I saw tons of FT8 QSOs scrolling across my screen! I also saw a lot of hamlib messages about failing to read the frequency from the radio, but for the time being I was happy to be receiving. I never tried transmitting since I couldn't even get my radio to talk to my laptop. I tried this by picking X108G, IC-7000, IC-7100, IC-7200, and HRO from the menu. No joy for any of these. I went to bed reading this forum - particularly the bit about the separate USB cable...
Day 2: I physically turned up at work but was mentally preparing to re-purpose my android's charging cable to augment the digimode cables. I couldn't wait! After work I executed my plan, my laptop and radio immediately connected, and was actually able to transmit! Well, for a few seconds...then the interface died and I got more hamlib errors. What a pain. I finally stopped after configuring my laptop to let me install unsigned drivers and installing the Xiegu HF INF file mentioned earlier in this forum. But I think I used the wrong version. I'll try the correct one tomorrow. As a side note, whenever I transmitted, the audio was very...sticky? The laptop set my radio to transmit, but the transmitted tone was not nice and continuous - it was a bit broken up. Not much, but probably enough to garble whatever I sent. But at least it sent something. Until it didn't again and I once again lost the connection to the radio.
Day 3 (Today): This afternoon I will follow additional advice and use separate cables for everything: a brand new USB (for rig control/PTT), 3.5-to-3.5 for radio-out to laptop-mic-in (for receiving), and the digimode cable ONLY for 3.5 laptop-headphones-out to radio-din6-in (for sending). And I also plan to upgrade all drivers. I have no idea how to figure out what version hamlib libraries I have or how to tell, but it's whatever ships with WSJT-X 1.9.1. I plan to use the X108G settings shown in a previous post. Hopefully I'll get farther...
Anyway, I'll keep you posted and am looking forward to hopefully getting this to work consistently. Or else...