• /// x-108.com in a new style
    /// After more than 4 years it was time to update the forum to the latest version. We also decided on a new design...

X-108 Info Digital mode x-108G - short summary (1 Viewer)

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
I think I am having exactly the same issue.

I am using Linux and wsjtx, if I try using ptt via cat the radio flicks to transmit and then back to receive, wsjtx still thinks it's transmitting I then sometimes get rig error.

I also notice a power spike on the display when this happens.

If I set the mode to CW it works fine. I am using the accessory port for ptt for now.

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
Also the X108G in ham lib has not been touched since Feb 14, 2017

The comment is interesting in

/*
* Hamlib CI-V backend - description of Xeigu X108G and variations
* Adapted from IC-7000 code 2017 by Michael Black W9MDB
* As of this date there is no CAT manual for this rig
* The X108G is supposed to emulate the IC-7000 but there are a few
* differences as of 2017-02-11 in the return data from the rig
* It's quite possible they may fix all these eventually
* If they do the functions below can go back to the icom routines
* #1 the response to PTT
* #2 the inability to set_dsp_mode
* #3 setting splie which impacts 3 routines

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
Thank you for the information and files here. I am trying to go digital for the first time, and this has been a lot of fun... There is a lot of information here, and I'll be sure to post if I was able to get her going.

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
So, I have had no luck. still getting the same error message. Cannot connect the radio to the computer. I am also trying through the signalink to no avail. I cannot make heads or tails of why it won't work.

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
I was able to get Ric control working in WSJT-X only. ended up using my Samsung phone cord. None of the others worked. I am still working on the rest and will let you know what works.

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
I'm so happy I found this thread - hello everyone! I'm still working on getting everything running, but there are still some growing pains. Here is my setup:

- Xiegu X108G
- Laptop with Windows 10
- Digimode-2 cable from xggcomms
- Separate USB cable for rig control and PTT (boy it took me a long time to realize this wasn't going through the digimode cable)
- WSJT-X 1.9.1 (I also have HRO [trial period])

My experiences so far:

Day 1: I received my digimode-2 cable from xggcomms in the UK. At this point, I still labored under the misapprehension that it did audio AND rig control/PTT. True, they never actually said it would do that, but perhaps in a bout of altruism they might have mentioned it a bit more clearly? Anyway, I set everything up and within minutes I saw tons of FT8 QSOs scrolling across my screen! I also saw a lot of hamlib messages about failing to read the frequency from the radio, but for the time being I was happy to be receiving. I never tried transmitting since I couldn't even get my radio to talk to my laptop. I tried this by picking X108G, IC-7000, IC-7100, IC-7200, and HRO from the menu. No joy for any of these. I went to bed reading this forum - particularly the bit about the separate USB cable...

Day 2: I physically turned up at work but was mentally preparing to re-purpose my android's charging cable to augment the digimode cables. I couldn't wait! After work I executed my plan, my laptop and radio immediately connected, and was actually able to transmit! Well, for a few seconds...then the interface died and I got more hamlib errors. What a pain. I finally stopped after configuring my laptop to let me install unsigned drivers and installing the Xiegu HF INF file mentioned earlier in this forum. But I think I used the wrong version. I'll try the correct one tomorrow. As a side note, whenever I transmitted, the audio was very...sticky? The laptop set my radio to transmit, but the transmitted tone was not nice and continuous - it was a bit broken up. Not much, but probably enough to garble whatever I sent. But at least it sent something. Until it didn't again and I once again lost the connection to the radio.

Day 3 (Today): This afternoon I will follow additional advice and use separate cables for everything: a brand new USB (for rig control/PTT), 3.5-to-3.5 for radio-out to laptop-mic-in (for receiving), and the digimode cable ONLY for 3.5 laptop-headphones-out to radio-din6-in (for sending). And I also plan to upgrade all drivers. I have no idea how to figure out what version hamlib libraries I have or how to tell, but it's whatever ships with WSJT-X 1.9.1. I plan to use the X108G settings shown in a previous post. Hopefully I'll get farther...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and am looking forward to hopefully getting this to work consistently. Or else...

Cheers!

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
Is there another place to download the 1.3.1 USB driver from? This site won't let me download it...

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
OK, I'm giving up. WSJT-X keeps crapping out:

Hamlib error: IO error while getting current VFO frequency

It decodes fine. But no joy transmitting without an error. Guess I'll either buy a different radio or a new laptop.

Oh well. Good luck to you all!

Mikeland

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
kx7n
I was thinking the same thing. Is there another place to download the drivers.

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
I had a lot of issues with CAT when I had RF on the coax shield. It would be very random, sometimes work sometimes switch off after half a second giving errors. I added some coils to my coax near the antenna feed point and grounded everything together PSU, radio, tuner. It resolved my issue. I am using an end fed antenna. You should try with a dummy load or a dipole and see if you still have issues.

Serge

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
ZS2SJE
Hi. Have ordered cable from e-bay.
And then the mission of setting up.hope all goes well as I see there have been lots of issues.

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Hi Serge,
If that's the micro-USB to USB-A cable, make sure it is a DATA cable, not just a charging cable. The ones used for smart phone charging at times don't have all the wires connected.

73 Ed DD5LP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oben
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks