• /// x-108.com in a new style
    /// After more than 4 years it was time to update the forum to the latest version. We also decided on a new design...

X-108 Info Digital mode x-108G - short summary (1 Viewer)

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
I think I am having exactly the same issue.

I am using Linux and wsjtx, if I try using ptt via cat the radio flicks to transmit and then back to receive, wsjtx still thinks it's transmitting I then sometimes get rig error.

I also notice a power spike on the display when this happens.

If I set the mode to CW it works fine. I am using the accessory port for ptt for now.

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
Also the X108G in ham lib has not been touched since Feb 14, 2017

The comment is interesting in

/*
* Hamlib CI-V backend - description of Xeigu X108G and variations
* Adapted from IC-7000 code 2017 by Michael Black W9MDB
* As of this date there is no CAT manual for this rig
* The X108G is supposed to emulate the IC-7000 but there are a few
* differences as of 2017-02-11 in the return data from the rig
* It's quite possible they may fix all these eventually
* If they do the functions below can go back to the icom routines
* #1 the response to PTT
* #2 the inability to set_dsp_mode
* #3 setting splie which impacts 3 routines

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
Thank you for the information and files here. I am trying to go digital for the first time, and this has been a lot of fun... There is a lot of information here, and I'll be sure to post if I was able to get her going.

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
So, I have had no luck. still getting the same error message. Cannot connect the radio to the computer. I am also trying through the signalink to no avail. I cannot make heads or tails of why it won't work.

CPLSeraphim

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
KY3M
I was able to get Ric control working in WSJT-X only. ended up using my Samsung phone cord. None of the others worked. I am still working on the rest and will let you know what works.

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
I'm so happy I found this thread - hello everyone! I'm still working on getting everything running, but there are still some growing pains. Here is my setup:

- Xiegu X108G
- Laptop with Windows 10
- Digimode-2 cable from xggcomms
- Separate USB cable for rig control and PTT (boy it took me a long time to realize this wasn't going through the digimode cable)
- WSJT-X 1.9.1 (I also have HRO [trial period])

My experiences so far:

Day 1: I received my digimode-2 cable from xggcomms in the UK. At this point, I still labored under the misapprehension that it did audio AND rig control/PTT. True, they never actually said it would do that, but perhaps in a bout of altruism they might have mentioned it a bit more clearly? Anyway, I set everything up and within minutes I saw tons of FT8 QSOs scrolling across my screen! I also saw a lot of hamlib messages about failing to read the frequency from the radio, but for the time being I was happy to be receiving. I never tried transmitting since I couldn't even get my radio to talk to my laptop. I tried this by picking X108G, IC-7000, IC-7100, IC-7200, and HRO from the menu. No joy for any of these. I went to bed reading this forum - particularly the bit about the separate USB cable...

Day 2: I physically turned up at work but was mentally preparing to re-purpose my android's charging cable to augment the digimode cables. I couldn't wait! After work I executed my plan, my laptop and radio immediately connected, and was actually able to transmit! Well, for a few seconds...then the interface died and I got more hamlib errors. What a pain. I finally stopped after configuring my laptop to let me install unsigned drivers and installing the Xiegu HF INF file mentioned earlier in this forum. But I think I used the wrong version. I'll try the correct one tomorrow. As a side note, whenever I transmitted, the audio was very...sticky? The laptop set my radio to transmit, but the transmitted tone was not nice and continuous - it was a bit broken up. Not much, but probably enough to garble whatever I sent. But at least it sent something. Until it didn't again and I once again lost the connection to the radio.

Day 3 (Today): This afternoon I will follow additional advice and use separate cables for everything: a brand new USB (for rig control/PTT), 3.5-to-3.5 for radio-out to laptop-mic-in (for receiving), and the digimode cable ONLY for 3.5 laptop-headphones-out to radio-din6-in (for sending). And I also plan to upgrade all drivers. I have no idea how to figure out what version hamlib libraries I have or how to tell, but it's whatever ships with WSJT-X 1.9.1. I plan to use the X108G settings shown in a previous post. Hopefully I'll get farther...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and am looking forward to hopefully getting this to work consistently. Or else...

Cheers!

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
Is there another place to download the 1.3.1 USB driver from? This site won't let me download it...

Nico L

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
W3NCL
OK, I'm giving up. WSJT-X keeps crapping out:

Hamlib error: IO error while getting current VFO frequency

It decodes fine. But no joy transmitting without an error. Guess I'll either buy a different radio or a new laptop.

Oh well. Good luck to you all!

Mikeland

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
kx7n
I was thinking the same thing. Is there another place to download the drivers.

Dave Dave

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
N1BAZ
I had a lot of issues with CAT when I had RF on the coax shield. It would be very random, sometimes work sometimes switch off after half a second giving errors. I added some coils to my coax near the antenna feed point and grounded everything together PSU, radio, tuner. It resolved my issue. I am using an end fed antenna. You should try with a dummy load or a dipole and see if you still have issues.

Serge

Beginner
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
ZS2SJE
Hi. Have ordered cable from e-bay.
And then the mission of setting up.hope all goes well as I see there have been lots of issues.

DD5LP

Crack-Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Website
www.vk2ji.com
Verified User
YES
Rufzeichen/Call
DD5LP
Hi Serge,
If that's the micro-USB to USB-A cable, make sure it is a DATA cable, not just a charging cable. The ones used for smart phone charging at times don't have all the wires connected.

73 Ed DD5LP.

iain anderson

Junior Boarder
X-108 Member
Punkte Reaktionen
Rufzeichen/Call
MM3XIA
nice post, i actually got the digital modes working on the 108 and they work great, quite handy as radio is small and you can leave it running away in a corner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Oben
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks