X-108 Info X108G display

Discussion in 'X-108 TRX' started by Peter Jordan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Peter Jordan

Peter Jordan Beginner X-108 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    Is their a way of getting a replacement display for the X108G? Mine has gone pink in colour and very faint. I feel its going to be totally unusable soon :-(

2. DCrisis

DCrisis Beginner X-108 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    KC6VHG
    I also have this same issue. I think that mine turned itself on in my bag at some point and may have burned itself pink.

I wonder is this is a standard part we can order from a general supplier?

3. Jon Illsley

Jon Illsley Beginner X-108 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    G2FHF
  4. DD5LP

DD5LP Crack-Boarder X-108 Member

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    Verified User:
    YES
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    The fact that nothing changed when you renewed the screen suggests it's a driver chip or processor problem. IMO Xiegu should never have changed from TFT to OLED screens in the X108G as even a fully working (i.e. non-pink) OLED screen is far to low a contract when used outside and there are no brightness or contrast adjustment options in the OLED "outdoor!" models as there was with the TFT screened models.

These problems have been reported to Xiegu and they seem uninterested in doing anything about it. They are about to release their replacement for the X108 - the G90 in any case and so they will have even less interest in supporting old customers I fear.

I have got around the invisibility in any small amount of sunlight, problem by using a remote control program PocketRxTx from my Android smart phone (see other threads on this bulliten board for full details). This solution would work with your Pink screen problem as well, however we shouldn't really need to do this.

73 Ed DD5LP.

5. Jon Illsley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    G2FHF
    Hi Ed. I thought the same as you but at least I have found a compatible screen if anyone needs one. TBH I don't plan on using the 108G again as I have now bought a Xiegu G90 and it's light years ahead in terms of performance.

73 Jon G2FHF

6. DD5LP

DD5LP Crack-Boarder X-108 Member

Home page:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    Verified User:
    YES
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    DD5LP
    Hi Jon, I hadn't realised the G90 had been released, I've been looking for adverts but not found any as yet.
    The problems I have had with the X108G display does put me off buying another XIEGU however. I guess one plans to buy one without any official support and then looks at the price. The fact that the G90 has an in-built ATU is a good addition. Do we know what CAT protocol the G90 uses? is it another IC-7000 clone?

73 Ed.

7. Jon Illsley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    G2FHF
  8. Jon Illsley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rufzeichen/Call:
    G2FHF
    The G90 is available from Sinotel in the UK with full support for £379. They are shipped via 24 hour courier. Amateur Radio - HF : Sinotel UK Limited
    There is a dedicated Facebook group which is very friendly and helpful here Xiegu X108G/X5105/G1M/G90 facebook group.. Öffentliche Gruppe | Facebook

The CAT emulates the 706 or 718 and the cable is supplied. I am nothing but impressed with it.

Jon G2FHF